A couple of months ago Shekira was ill, and because we all sleep together, we all became ill.
Child Poverty and Housing, End Child Poverty 2007
- Nearly 4 million children are living in poverty in the UK (after housing costs)
- The proportion of children living in poverty grew from 1 in 10 in 1979 to 1 in 3 in 1998. Today, 30 per cent of children in Britain are living in poverty.
- The UK has one of the worst rates of child poverty in the industrialised world
- The majority (59 per cent) of poor children live in a household where at least one adult works.
- 40 per cent of poor children live in a household headed by a lone parent. The majority of poor children (57 per cent) live in a household headed by a couple.
- 38% of children in poverty are from families with 3 or more children.
- Since 1999, when the current Government pledged to end child poverty, 550,000 children have been lifted out of poverty.