Struggling with money like this and not having enough to get by on and not being able to give your kids what they want, can be really depressing.
Child Poverty and Income, End Child Poverty 2007
- Nearly 4 million children are living in poverty in the UK (after housing costs)
- The proportion of children living in poverty grew from 1 in 10 in 1979 to 1 in 3 in 1998. Today, 30 per cent of children in Britain are living in poverty.
- The UK has one of the worst rates of child poverty in the industrialised world
- The majority (59 per cent) of poor children live in a household where at least one adult works.
- 40 per cent of poor children live in a household headed by a lone parent. The majority of poor children (57 per cent) live in a household headed by a couple.
- 38% of children in poverty are from families with 3 or more children.
- Since 1999, when the current Government pledged to end child poverty, 550,000 children have been lifted out of poverty.